Skip to main content

The Time is Now

Is it time yet?

Exactly 5 weeks ago a man opened fire on the crowd at a music concert, killing 59. When voices rose up to protest current gun laws, Republican lawmakers suggested it was too soon. Too soon because the nation was hurting.

We have waited to long too have that discussion. We have waited too long to come out in support of sweeping gun control legislation. We have waited too long to make a change.

This morning, in Sutherland Springs,Texas, a young man walked into a church and began shooting. He killed at least 26 men, women, and children before fleeing. That is what comes from waiting.

Each time we face a tragic shooting Americans pause and grieve and wonder how something so horrible can happen here. Sadly, the only place shootings like this occur with such regularity is in the United States of America.

We are divided, and for the life of me I cannot understand why. What is so wrong with discussing gun control? I do not own a gun nor will I permit anyone to bring one to my home. If you want to own a gun for self protection or in order to hunt, I support your right to do so. BUT, there is no reason on earth anyone needs to privately own a military-style weapon. Please, give me one good reason why someone might need one.

We do not need to discuss security in our churches, as suggested by pundits today. We need to discuss gun control. The time is now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Menopause

I am in menopause. I am at my beginning. Again, I have come of age. We all do it. We all do it differently – hormone replacement therapy; hot flashes; loss of sex drive; increased sex drive; the tragedy of new facial hair; fear of bone loss; antidepressants – and none of us know what will come next. Very few of us share our secrets. I have spent the last few years discussing these issues with girlfriends. We have shocked and surprised each other as well as found comfort in some of our common stories. After years of being single and keeping my eyes on nothing but my career, it was clearly time to take control of myself and my body. I had just gone through a record emotional dry spell. I felt very alone, but imagined that I was not in a place so different than other women. Women in the workplace spend years losing themselves in order to gain advancement that, even if it does come, won’t be as satisfying as they thought. It is that time in your late thirties, often through your forties, t...

Menopause and HRT

For the past few years I have been reading articles and interviewing woman about menopause symptoms and remedies. We've talk about trying everything from tincture of sage to hormone replacement therapy. Today the NY Times published " Menopause, as Brought to You by Big Pharma ," by Natasha Singer and Duff Wilson. It's certainly an eye-opener. Lawsuits and internal documents show how Pfizer and its predecessors promoted the idea of taking hormone drugs. If you or someone you love is careening into menopause, have them talk to family, friends and doctors. Be informed. For me, the cure for my hot flashes was sex. I highly recommend it ;-)

On The Radio

I often find myself sitting on the subway holding my book, not really reading, but watching what everyone is up to around me. Today I hoped no one was watching me. I left my office around four-thirty scurrying like a rat to get to my five o’clock appointment. I was busy today, but not so busy I couldn’t have left a few minutes earlier. There was no reason for me to be flying down the street grousing at the people who weren’t walking quite as fast as I was on my way to the subway. I ran down the stairs and slid my MetroCard through the turnstile just as the uptown 1 Train pulled into the station. The train was crowded, but I managed to get a seat. I should have been embarrassed as I rolled my eyes because the woman next to me took up a little more space than the plastic molded seats allowed. At the 96th Street station a tired-looking woman entered my subway car. She was probably ten years younger than I and looked five years older. Her expression was flat; the look of a woman ...