Skip to main content

#MeToo

It’s not just Hollywood. It’s big business. It’s small business. It’s walking down the street. It’s all over America. It’s the President of the United States.

I’m a woman of a ‘certain age’ so I remember when sexual harassment and discrimination were not only legal, but expected. Decades ago the laws changed allowing for women to make a legal stand when they were victimized, but they didn’t. Did the abuse stop? No. The bad boys lawyered up and new ways were found to keep women in their place.

I was once an actress and singer and I can attest to the fact that the casting couch was a very real thing. I also worked in the business world for most of my life and can tell you that the abuse was just as unbridled there.

I am sure that most women have experienced some form of harassment or discrimination, we just don’t know exactly what to do about it. We whisper in hallways, hinting at wrongdoings and guiding those women coming up after us. Some men stand silent and some join in. My story is not unusual and I won’t bore you with every detail. Here are just a few personal examples:
  • At 19 a professor suggested I should share his room on a college acting tour.
  • At 21 I was asked to show my “tits” at one of my first professional auditions.
  • At 23 I was force fed alcohol by two partners of a reputable law firm in the reception area for all to see. One held my head back and the other poured the brandy down my throat. They thought it might change my mind about drinking with them in a private office.
  • At 25 I quit a job because of unwanted advances from the business owner. My options were unemployment or sex with him in a dark office above the Ed Sullivan Theatre. I chose unemployment.
  • At 28 I was groped by a work superior in a taxi ride home from a holiday party.
  • At 30 an older man that I barely knew put his paw on my thigh and offered me a Manhattan apartment and a generous salary to live there. He didn’t name specific duties, but they were clear. I never saw him again.
  • At 35 I was denied a promotion because my “tits” were distracting.
  • At 40 I got a much-deserved promotion, but had to report to a man who made twice my salary because people would better accept a man in a technology role.
  • At 45 I lost my job to another man because men were better-suited to technology, even though I had been the innovator at that company and in the field.
  • At 45 I sought the help of counsel. The lawyer looked at me and said, “You were there a long time and you’re an attractive woman. You must have had a few affairs there, what dirt do you have?” I asked him if he had daughters and walked out the door.
  • At 50 I was too old to get a job even though men who were my peers seemed to be able to get a job. I was asked out on a few dates.
  • At 55 I was co-host to an educational seminar where foreign heads of state were present. I was the only woman. While I was ‘permitted’ to be at the table, when I spoke, the foreign dignitary actually waved his hand as if swatting a fly away. When I responded, it was as though I wasn’t there. None of the other men said anything either.
  • At 60 (actually a week before my birthday) I was ‘laid off’ and my job was given to a man that had no experience in my field at a significantly higher salary. Two points of interest here: 1) within a few months the man was fired for not being able to do his job; and 2) the small business owner had on several occasions shared sexually explicit stories with me and would tell me I was sexy, saying he’d hit ‘that’, referring to me, with other colleagues present.

An avalanche of women are posting #MeToo, flooding social media sites in an effort to remove their shame. And yet, there are still those that blame the women. They were dressed too provocatively. They didn’t speak out loudly enough or soon enough, or with enough conviction. The blame is misplaced. It is the men who are the perpetrators that are to blame. It is the men (and some women) who are silent when they see and hear inappropriate behavior.

There must be both criminal and financial consequences for the perpetrators and for those who stand with them in silence or there will never be parity. Victims cannot be made to account for the transgressions of their perpetrators. All of us, the countless #MeToo’s, must not be afraid. I fear that those who go first will lose a lot. They will lose all the things that made them not speak out. They will lose their livelihoods, their credibility, and their professional standing.

I wish it wasn’t true, but I am sure that it is. I am a strong and respected woman who has been a victim time and time again, and yet, in spite of the current climate and the distance of more than a year, I feel that making a stand against my last perpetrator would have no impact on him or his business and only harm me both emotionally and financially.
It is hard to imagine that I am alone.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Menopause

I am in menopause. I am at my beginning. Again, I have come of age. We all do it. We all do it differently – hormone replacement therapy; hot flashes; loss of sex drive; increased sex drive; the tragedy of new facial hair; fear of bone loss; antidepressants – and none of us know what will come next. Very few of us share our secrets. I have spent the last few years discussing these issues with girlfriends. We have shocked and surprised each other as well as found comfort in some of our common stories. After years of being single and keeping my eyes on nothing but my career, it was clearly time to take control of myself and my body. I had just gone through a record emotional dry spell. I felt very alone, but imagined that I was not in a place so different than other women. Women in the workplace spend years losing themselves in order to gain advancement that, even if it does come, won’t be as satisfying as they thought. It is that time in your late thirties, often through your forties, t

Menopause and HRT

For the past few years I have been reading articles and interviewing woman about menopause symptoms and remedies. We've talk about trying everything from tincture of sage to hormone replacement therapy. Today the NY Times published " Menopause, as Brought to You by Big Pharma ," by Natasha Singer and Duff Wilson. It's certainly an eye-opener. Lawsuits and internal documents show how Pfizer and its predecessors promoted the idea of taking hormone drugs. If you or someone you love is careening into menopause, have them talk to family, friends and doctors. Be informed. For me, the cure for my hot flashes was sex. I highly recommend it ;-)

On The Radio

I often find myself sitting on the subway holding my book, not really reading, but watching what everyone is up to around me. Today I hoped no one was watching me. I left my office around four-thirty scurrying like a rat to get to my five o’clock appointment. I was busy today, but not so busy I couldn’t have left a few minutes earlier. There was no reason for me to be flying down the street grousing at the people who weren’t walking quite as fast as I was on my way to the subway. I ran down the stairs and slid my MetroCard through the turnstile just as the uptown 1 Train pulled into the station. The train was crowded, but I managed to get a seat. I should have been embarrassed as I rolled my eyes because the woman next to me took up a little more space than the plastic molded seats allowed. At the 96th Street station a tired-looking woman entered my subway car. She was probably ten years younger than I and looked five years older. Her expression was flat; the look of a woman