Skip to main content

Birth Festival 2009 Begins

My birth festival is in full swing and I have been burning the candle at both ends for the last two weeks. Visitors from the other side of the pond, a meal on my actual birthday that was so amazing it deserves its own post, and staying up at night staring at my computer screen and NOT writing. I think someone should do a study to confirm that overeating slows the brain making it impossible to speak or write in complete sentences.

In my last post I mentioned that I was going on a date with someone who was in my memoir, I Thought I Grew Up. I was more than a bit concerned that he didn’t know about it and decided that I would wait until he was halfway through a smart cocktail to tell him.

Arriving at the restaurant a bit early, I sat down at the bar, ordered a glass of wine and then pulled a book from my bag. As soon as I opened the pages my date walked through the door. He arrived on time looking rather dashing and carrying a Barnes & Noble shopping bag. A quick kiss hello and he proudly pulled my book from his bag. I was flattered and afraid at the same time. Now that the cat was out of the bag I wondered if this handsome man would make contact again.

Our lunch date turned into five hours of fun. We talked and laughed over lunch and then wandered up Ninth Avenue in search of a Starbucks for coffee. Since then, I have had company and he has been out of town for a little holiday and then away for business. I am happy to report that we are making plans for another date.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Menopause

I am in menopause. I am at my beginning. Again, I have come of age. We all do it. We all do it differently – hormone replacement therapy; hot flashes; loss of sex drive; increased sex drive; the tragedy of new facial hair; fear of bone loss; antidepressants – and none of us know what will come next. Very few of us share our secrets. I have spent the last few years discussing these issues with girlfriends. We have shocked and surprised each other as well as found comfort in some of our common stories. After years of being single and keeping my eyes on nothing but my career, it was clearly time to take control of myself and my body. I had just gone through a record emotional dry spell. I felt very alone, but imagined that I was not in a place so different than other women. Women in the workplace spend years losing themselves in order to gain advancement that, even if it does come, won’t be as satisfying as they thought. It is that time in your late thirties, often through your forties, t...

Menopause and HRT

For the past few years I have been reading articles and interviewing woman about menopause symptoms and remedies. We've talk about trying everything from tincture of sage to hormone replacement therapy. Today the NY Times published " Menopause, as Brought to You by Big Pharma ," by Natasha Singer and Duff Wilson. It's certainly an eye-opener. Lawsuits and internal documents show how Pfizer and its predecessors promoted the idea of taking hormone drugs. If you or someone you love is careening into menopause, have them talk to family, friends and doctors. Be informed. For me, the cure for my hot flashes was sex. I highly recommend it ;-)

On The Radio

I often find myself sitting on the subway holding my book, not really reading, but watching what everyone is up to around me. Today I hoped no one was watching me. I left my office around four-thirty scurrying like a rat to get to my five o’clock appointment. I was busy today, but not so busy I couldn’t have left a few minutes earlier. There was no reason for me to be flying down the street grousing at the people who weren’t walking quite as fast as I was on my way to the subway. I ran down the stairs and slid my MetroCard through the turnstile just as the uptown 1 Train pulled into the station. The train was crowded, but I managed to get a seat. I should have been embarrassed as I rolled my eyes because the woman next to me took up a little more space than the plastic molded seats allowed. At the 96th Street station a tired-looking woman entered my subway car. She was probably ten years younger than I and looked five years older. Her expression was flat; the look of a woman ...