Skip to main content

I Love Bobby Rivers

Bobby is a new friend, but I feel as though I’ve known him for years. His face and voice, coming from the television in my early days in New York, provided the background and soundtrack of some of my best memories. He always seemed to be on TV and I was amazed that he was so easy when talking to the likes of Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep. He was a celebrity in his own right, but there was something about him that made me think we could be friends. Bobby was warm and funny and I knew he would be fun at a party. I loved coming home, putting on my pajamas and watching Bobby banter with my idols.

Life is funny. All these years later and we have actually become friends and I’m beginning to understand why he was so good on TV; why we all wanted him in our living rooms and bedrooms; and why some of the most amazing people in the world have been interviewed by him and feel the same way I do about watching Bobby Rivers.

Bobby is a smart man with an encyclopedic knowledge of film and can talk to a post. I love that about him. Bobby listens because he really wants to know what you have to say. Listening is a special gift. A lot of people ask questions but few actually want to hear the answer. The end result? You'll tell him anything.

Today I was struck by a piece Bobby wrote about growing up. The piece is called Bobby Kennedy: Watts 1968. Read it.

Our childhoods couldn’t have been more different. Even so, I felt closer to him as I read his story about growing up. Bobby Rivers has a way of intertwining our history with culture and making us more the same than we are different.

I am baffled that NBC News has hired Cody Gifford to review movies when there is someone far more entertaining and knowledgeable available.

All I can do is quote Whoopi Goldberg – “ What the hell?!?”

Comments

Glenn said…
Bobby is indeed a great person. I had the honor of working with him on Whoopi's radio show. Always funny, even that early in the morning. I always found his movie reviews to be spot-on. G
Anonymous said…
That's our Bobby!
Anonymous said…
I've been following Bobby Rivers for 25 years! You've described it to a "T"! Nobody compares on Film and theatre talk, but he knocks me over with his knowledge of everything else. He's just amazing and an amazing friend. Thanks for getting his name out there !
Dan Sebring said…
I first met Bobby when he was doing radio in Milwaukee in the late 1970's and I was a club DJ. We didn't know each other all that well. Still I was impressed by his knowledge and quick wit. Many years passed by before we reconnected on facebook where I have found he continues to be one of the most knowledgeable, entertaining, and just plain fun people I know.
Unknown said…
Thanks for the comments, y'all. It's nice to know you're out there reading and nice to know you all feel the same way about Bobby ;-) Pass it on!
Unknown said…
Bobby is a friend and an inspiration. His intelligence, wit, and persona are unmeasured.

It's always good to hear someone else feel the same way. Great post.

Popular posts from this blog

Menopause

I am in menopause. I am at my beginning. Again, I have come of age. We all do it. We all do it differently – hormone replacement therapy; hot flashes; loss of sex drive; increased sex drive; the tragedy of new facial hair; fear of bone loss; antidepressants – and none of us know what will come next. Very few of us share our secrets. I have spent the last few years discussing these issues with girlfriends. We have shocked and surprised each other as well as found comfort in some of our common stories. After years of being single and keeping my eyes on nothing but my career, it was clearly time to take control of myself and my body. I had just gone through a record emotional dry spell. I felt very alone, but imagined that I was not in a place so different than other women. Women in the workplace spend years losing themselves in order to gain advancement that, even if it does come, won’t be as satisfying as they thought. It is that time in your late thirties, often through your forties, t

Menopause and HRT

For the past few years I have been reading articles and interviewing woman about menopause symptoms and remedies. We've talk about trying everything from tincture of sage to hormone replacement therapy. Today the NY Times published " Menopause, as Brought to You by Big Pharma ," by Natasha Singer and Duff Wilson. It's certainly an eye-opener. Lawsuits and internal documents show how Pfizer and its predecessors promoted the idea of taking hormone drugs. If you or someone you love is careening into menopause, have them talk to family, friends and doctors. Be informed. For me, the cure for my hot flashes was sex. I highly recommend it ;-)

On The Radio

I often find myself sitting on the subway holding my book, not really reading, but watching what everyone is up to around me. Today I hoped no one was watching me. I left my office around four-thirty scurrying like a rat to get to my five o’clock appointment. I was busy today, but not so busy I couldn’t have left a few minutes earlier. There was no reason for me to be flying down the street grousing at the people who weren’t walking quite as fast as I was on my way to the subway. I ran down the stairs and slid my MetroCard through the turnstile just as the uptown 1 Train pulled into the station. The train was crowded, but I managed to get a seat. I should have been embarrassed as I rolled my eyes because the woman next to me took up a little more space than the plastic molded seats allowed. At the 96th Street station a tired-looking woman entered my subway car. She was probably ten years younger than I and looked five years older. Her expression was flat; the look of a woman